Easy Vegan Tzatziki
Don’t really feel like a full meal, but rather something light? Having friends over and someone is vegan? Just like eating things that taste like other things? Don’t panic – we’ve created a vegan tzatziki to suit all your crudites needs.
Put that cucumber lying in the back of your fridge to good use, I’m pretty sure it would be grateful not to die back there. We’re going to grate it instead. Soaking the cashews beforehand gives this tzatziki all the creaminess of a traditional one, without the use of any dairy products. As amazing as that sounds, it’s not the only reason for soaking the cashews. Doing this also gets rid of the enzyme (phytates) that allows the cashew to sprout, which also inhibits our bodies from absorbing the maximum amount of minerals and vitamins this glorious nut has to offer. If you’ve heard of ‘activated’ seeds, nuts and legumes, this soaking and subsequent sprouting process is what they’re referring to. Helping your body get the most from the food you’re consuming is always worth the extra time it takes to soak the cashews overnight.
Pair the tzatziki with fresh cucumber or some delicious falafels to share with your friends at your next dinner party, it makes for good conversation too once your guests realise it’s vegan.
- 1cup Raw unsalted cashews; soaked in water for 3 hours min, we soaked ours overnight
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2cup water
- 1/2 Cucumber, diced
- 1 Large handful of mint leaves finely chopped
- 1 A handful of chopped dill.
- Drain the cashews, and rinse well. You want to make sure that those phytates are all gone.
- Add pre-soaked cashews, lemon, garlic, salt, pepper and water to a strong blender (we used our nutribullet) and blitz until smooth. You could use a stick blender but the results won’t be as smooth. If you find that the mixture is slightly stodgy; add a little more water. Keep in mind that it will continue to thicken in the fridge
- Transfer the mixture to a small mixing bowl. Add the cucumber, mint, and dill, stir to combine.
- Refridgerate for 30min, or until serving.