Mood Enhancing Turmeric and Chamomile Tonic
Something positive I think that has come out of social media is the discourse and openness around mental health. Admittedly, I’m no professional on the subject, but as one of the millions (billions?) who struggles with anxiety, there are a few things I know help me manage it.
One we hear about often, and probably annoyingly so at this point, is eating well. This really has so many layers to it – eating well is about eating good food, healthy food, and also eating mindfully. For me, it’s ensuring I am giving my body the best possible chance it has to deal with whatever the day might throw at me – and if my body has what it needs, it’ll make sure my mind, nervous system etc do too. Strong from the inside.
Something I do reach for to calm myself is a cup of tea. I’m not sure if it comes from drinking countless bottles of rooibos as a baby, but tea is soothing for so many of us. Each has its health benefits and none is more commonly known as ‘calming’ as chamomile. Considered to be one of the most ancient and versatile medicinal herbs, dried chamomile flowers have numerous health benefits thanks to their high level of antioxidants. Chamomile is used for:
- Fighting anxiety and depression
- Natural allergy fighter or hay fever
- Muscle spasms treatment
- PMS natural remedy
- Insomnia cure
- Skin disorders
- Gastrointestinal disorders
It’s used as a mild sedative to calm nerves and reduce anxiety because its vapours travel directly to the olfactory part of the brain, turning off tension and reducing the body’s stress response. Crazy how powerful the effects of smells can be.
This ice-tea tonic includes turmeric and lemon – both known to help fortify the immune system and reduce stress on the body and inflammation. You can make a warm version of this if you feel like a hug in a cup, or a cold version to sip on stressful days.
Creating little rituals for myself when I need a moment to ground myself has helped me when I start to feel anxious. Whether it’s giving someone close to you a hug to receive a hug back, taking yourself for a walk, reading a book or having a quiet cup of tea, I hope you find those moments for yourself daily. You’re the most important person in your life.
- 4 Lemons, juiced
- 3cm Knob of Ginger, finely grated
- 1tsp Turmeric Powder or 1cm Knob Turmeric Root, finely grated
- 500ml Water
- 6 Chamomile Tea Bags
- Honey or Agave Nectar to taste
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above and boil your kettle. If using turmeric root make sure to use some gloves to prevent staining.
- Add your tea bags into a jar/jug with your boiling water turmeric, ginger and sweetener of choice, stir and let it brew for 15-20min.
- Strain the mixture using a fine sieve and chill in the fridge. Once cool add ice once you’re ready to serve.
- If you find the flavours too potent dilute with a little extra water.