Smokey Cauliflower and Lentil Rotis
Before I became vegetarian, cauliflower was one of my least favourite vegetables, but once there was no longer meat on my plate, it became my go-to ingredient. I learnt how versatile it can be and what a lovely foundation it is for a vast combination of flavours, like this one from UCOOK.
This week, the chefs at UCOOK have combined cauliflower with lentils and charred them in the oven with some smokey paprika and cumin to create a taste sensation. The lentils take on a wonderful crispy texture, while the paprika brings out the subtle sweet flavours of the cauliflower. Combined with pickled cabbage, these simple but flavoursome ingredients combine to create the perfect light dinner.
In the beginning stages of this recipe, we chose to season the cauliflower and lentils in a bowl first, rather than on the baking tray. This allowed the spices to coat them evenly, rather than just sitting on top. If you have a mandolin slicer, we suggest using this to thinly slice the onions – the thinner the better. Pickling the red cabbage provides a perfect balance for the dish. The tartness from the pickling juices cuts the smokey flavours from the paprika beautifully.
These Smokey Cauliflower and Lentil Rotis are the perfect amount of tart, spice and crunch that you look for in a meal. Make sure you order yours this week!
- 300g Cauliflower Florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 120g Tinned Brown Lentils, drained
- 100g Red Cabbage, shredded
- 20g Flaked Almonds
- 40ml Pesto Princess Chimichurri
- 1 Onion, finely sliced
- 4g Parsley, chopped
- 8 Cocktail Rotis
- 5ml Smoked Paprika
- 5ml Cumin
- 15ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 5ml Honey
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celcius and line a large baking tray with foil.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine your cauliflower, lentils, paprika, and cumin with a drizzle of olive oil. Toss to combine and spread on your lined baking sheet. Once your oven has preheated, bake your cauliflower and lentils for 12-15min. Keep checking on them to ensure they don’t burn.
- Add your onion, parsley, and red wine vinegar to a bowl. Toss to combine and set aside to pickle.
- Place a saucepan over a medium heat, add your flaked almonds and toast for 2-4 minutes.
- Place a griddle pan over medium-high heat, lightly rub your wraps with some olive oil. When hot toast your wraps for 1-2 minutes in total, until nicely golden and charred. Remove from pan and while they’re still hot fold into taco shapes.
- It’s time to plate up. Spread loads of chimichurri on the inside of the taco, add some pickled cabbage and onion and top with your roasted cauliflower and lentils. Don’t be alarmed when you have loads of filling left over – you can create a side dish by mixing everything together.