Sticky Asian-Style Pork Patties
Running a blog whilst working full-time jobs means that weekend shoots and less free time have become our reality, but the number of little triumphs we have in the kitchen – whether it’s creating a new recipe or nailing a delicious dish – often make up for this.
We’ve been apprehensive to try pork on the blog up until now as people have very specific opinions about it – how best to cook it or to incorporate it into a dish. The time finally felt right when we saw this dish on the UCOOK menu (we were later informed that it’s one of their most popular dishes to date). As you can see from our pictures, we were pretty happy with the results too!
One of our favourite components of the dish was the sticky Asian sauce. The depth of flavour was amazing, and it lent itself well to the carrots and pak choi. We actually set a little of the sauce aside and used it to amplify the leafy green pak choi whilst frying. To make sure you get your pork patties to their loveliest, stickiest selves, allow the sauce to cook down and thicken, making sure to constantly coat them as you go.
While the patties are the hero of the dish, we loved how the sides worked too. We fried off our pak choi for slightly shorter to leave that extra crunch, the spring onion transported us straight to Asia, and we felt that the fresh carrot rounded of the dish perfectly, balancing out the subtle sweetness of the sauce. We finished off with some extra chili, but the recipe works beautifully as is.
If you’d like to make these at home – place your order here. And don’t forget, due to the Easter break, this box will only be delivered on the 9th of April!
- Spring Onion, finely sliced
- Coriander, rinsed and roughly chopped
- Garlic Clove, finely sliced
- Chilli, de-seeded and finely sliced
- Pork Mince
- Tapioca Flour
- Pak Choi
- Sesame Seeds
- Julienned Carrots
- White Wine Vinegar, 25ml
- Honey, 12ml
- Sesame Oil, 15ml
- Mirin, 15ml
- Soy Sauce, 25ml
- Hoisin Sauce, 10ml
- In a medium bowl, mix all the patty ingredients together until well combined. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the glaze ingredients and set aside. Wash the pak choy well and set aside. Combine all the carrot salad ingredients together with 30 ml of olive or vegetable oil.
- Heat a little sesame oil in a large frying pan. Fry the pak choi until wilted. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Fill the same pan with enough oil for shallow frying. Use damp hands and shape the mince mixture into patties. Fry in batches for about 4 minutes a side or until golden and cooked through. Place all the cooked patties back into the plan together with the glaze ingredients and simmer until reduced and sticky. Make sure the patties are well coated!
- Serve the sticky asian patties with sautéed pak choi and crispy carrot salad.