Tangy BBQ Carrot and Bulgar Wrap
We’re officially in week 2 of UCOOK’s vegan menu! Together with UCOOK, we’ve given you a selection of vegan recipes instead of vegetarian ones, and we couldn’t be happier with the outcome. The response to the vegan menu has been incredibly positive and we’re so excited for you to try one of our favourite dishes this week; the Tangy Carrot and Bulgar Wheat Wraps.
These wraps are incredibly nourishing, satisfying and healthy – what more could you ask for in a weeknight meal? There’s nothing more depressing than feeling unsatisfied by your dinner after a long day of doing whatever it is adults do these days to keep busy. Feeling full and nourished comes from the bulgur wheat, otherwise known as cracked wheat, which is different from other grains and wheat products. Bulgur wheat hasn’t been stripped of its bran/germ, which is where the majority of the nutrients such as manganese, magnesium, iron and B vitamins can all be found. Manganese is incredibly beneficial for heart health, blood pressure, digestion, preventing high stress levels, aches or pains, and can even help if you have trouble sleeping. This ancient grain packs an incredible nutritional punch, but like all things, it should still be eaten in moderation.
This week we’re pairing our ancient grain with tangy flavours that come from the combination of tomato and BBQ sauce mixed with the smokiness from the peri peri rub. In a Give a Fork recipe you will always find lemon, and this one is no different: the citrus flavour lifts the dish and provides depth to one of my favourite parts, the slaw. Raw red cabbage, combined with the peppery rocket is simply a match made in heaven. The light flavours complement the heartiness of the bulgur filling beautifully and leave you feeling satisfied.
We suggest you place your order for the Tangy BBQ Carrot and Bulgur Wraps soon to avoid missing out on the last vegan box created by us, for you. If you have any feedback on what you loved about your vegan UCOOK box, or if you have any constructive feedback on how we can better our recipes, please do let us know.
- 150g Shredded Red Cabbage
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 150g Carrot, grated
- 2 Garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- 160ml Bulgar wheat
- 30g Rocket, rinsed
- 5ml NOMU Peri Peri Rub
- 2 Coconut Wraps
- 1 Lemon, zested
- 1 Chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 35ml BBQ Sauce
- 10ml Tomato Paste
- Boil your kettle. In a bowl add your bulgar wheat, some salt, and 320ml boiling water. Cover with cling film and let it soak until you’re ready to serve. Once cooked, drain on completion if necessary and fluff with a fork.
- Place a saucepan, that has a lid, on medium heat along with a drizzle of olive oil. When hot add your onions and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes, until softened and translucent. Season with some salt and add your grated carrot. Stir to coat and let sweat for 3-4 minutes.
- In a small bowl add your peri peri rub, BBQ sauce and 150ml of water. Mix to combine, taste to test and season with some salt and pepper. Add the sauce to the pan and simmer with the lid for 3 minutes, remove the lid and cook for a further 3 minutes, until the sauce has reduced slightly. Taste to test and season with some salt and lemon if you desire.
- While your sauce is cooking, in a small bowl add your rinsed rocket, shredded red cabbage, lemon zest, and chili. Toss with some olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Set aside until serving.
- Once your sauce has finished reducing add it to your fluffed bulgar wheat and stir through, making sure all the bulgar wheat is evenly coated.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat and dry toast your wraps for 1-2 minutes per side.
- It’s time to plate up; begin with your toasted coconut wrap, followed by your tangy bulgar filling, shredded cabbage, and rocket.